Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sentimental hearts abstain

I like to see her bath toys hanging up in the shower. Or her sturdy books and stuffed animals strewn across her bedroom floor where she left them. The bright colors of her clothes and the cheerful pattern of her crib liner. This little universe for this little person. This is the good stuff in life, I try to remember. Despite my ever-doubting personality and the time I have to consecrate to changing things about myself professionally and personally, I try try try to appreciate all these precious moments that a one-year-old is offering. All for free. Or nearly free. Just the price of a bit less sleep in general and less time to spend on my own stuff. I won’t pretend it’s not an adjustment or that there aren’t days that she cries every time I move her or leave the room for a second. I must never forget what a gift she is. I’ll squeeze her every chance I get. Until she’s a “tween” and won’t let me! Already there are moments she flees my arms, literally shrugs her shoulders away from me as she picks up her toys.

Anyway, here’s one of those “precious moments”…

3 comments:

Jessamyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessamyn said...

I love it! I'm so glad she is starting out as a cat person. And she is working so hard to get that tail - making her little sounds as the job demands.

Lindle said...

My goodness--Chat Chat is so wonderfully patient (so far) letting Juliette have a little fun. She is clearly delighted at the furry wagging play toy he is providing. Love this moment of her life---you are capturing priceless treasures. I love your beautiful reflections too--that is another gift you have.
Love, Mum