Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Sick day

I'm spending some unexpected quality time with my little one today. She woke up with high fever and as I knew Remi was supposed to be planting in a village all day, he couldn't take her to the doctor. So Juju and I were off to the GP, who ironically I'd tried to get an appointment with yesterday as her cold was lingering. But he was absent, as was the pediatrician. But we got seen quickly today and as it seems the cold has gone into what he calls a super-infection in her bronchial tubes, we left with a prescription for antibiotics in hand.

She fell asleep in my arms on the couch and stayed asleep as I shifted her on to the pillows. I couldn't resist taking a picture of my sleepy red-cheeked baby.


She hardly ate a thing for lunch and now she's sleeping again. I hope this fever goes down soon. I always feel so bad when her colds seem to have gone too far. It's such a fine line between trying to let her fight it off with her own defenses and needing a bit of help from meds. This was one case where she really needed it.

I was almost relieved to have a day at home with her though, relatively guilt-free because she obviously needed to stay home. As I said in my last post, it's hard for me to sit still lately, but I need to. And I enjoyed holding my feverish girl in my lap, even though I know she's feeling weak.

I guess sometimes I'm a bit like Hermione in Harry Potter, the girl in the class who has already started making notecards for the next exam and likes to respond to the teachers' questions. But, believe me, I don't know everything. Sometimes I'm downright slow. But I've got this study-bug tendency. It's hard for me to know when I've studied enough. Things will start slacking off soon though (only to crank back up again in January with mega exams!).

I keep wanting to go all out on Christmas decorations, despite my lack of time. I'm gonna start decorating next weekend and maybe even make a gingerbread house (how did yours turn out, Amber?). And decorate those plain stockings I got super cheap at Target last year when I was back home (mega sniff sniff that I'm not going back this year...). But I don't know if I'll have so much time. Maybe I just need to make time for those fun soul-filling activities.

Got Juliette an advent calendar that has a nativity scene on it to teach her a bit about the real meaning of Christmas. There are little chocolates behind each door. This morning she asked me: "Baby Jesus got chocolate?" Oh, dear. I guess these things get mixed up in a child's mind.

Bundle up out there and enoy some cocoa. Until next time...

5 comments:

Amber said...

What a sweet picture! Sometimes it's nice to be "stuck" at home for a day, especially when we're always in "go" mode.
I haven't built my gingerbread houses yet -- waiting for the nephews to get here at Christmas. Maybe I should build one as a trial run. I'm hoping we're going to get our Christmas tree and decorations set up this weekend too :)

Jenenz said...

She is such an angel! Glad you had some time to be home. Christmas cheer is in the air.

Mil said...

From Crystal: somehow the comment wouldn't publish, so I recopied it:


Aww poor Juju! Hope she feels better soon. And I agree with Amber, it's good to be "stuck" at home sometimes to get the rest you need without the guilt. It used to happen to me in Paris when the trains went on strike and I couldn't get to work. I had to cancel my lessons and stay home.

Can't wait to see how your gingerbread house turns out! I remember how lovely your house was at Xmas when I spent Xmas eve there a few years ago :)

Hugs from down in the Alps, xx.

Lindle said...

It breaks your heart when they are sick. That tornado of energy just slams to a halt, and you know everything has to focus on her!
Since you posted this, you've let me know she's better, and we are all very glad to hear it. Everybody stay well for Christmas!

Deidre said...

I hope she is feeling better! I can only imagine how hard it is to watch your baby feeling yucky!