Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2020

The one word that means so much

I was talking with a couple my husband knows who both worked non-stop in their large supermarket during the lockdown period.  The wife is a cashier and had to wear gloves and a mask and visor, sitting behind her plexiglas shield.  I asked her if it was hard facing the virus (potentially) and working while others stayed at home.  She replied right away.  "No.  Because I had a reason to get up every day."

I almost took it as a rebuke but knew she didn't mean it that way.  Instead I agreed sincerely, because I was lucky to have realized quite quickly during this lockdown what I needed to get out of bed every morning.  One word that can change everything in your day.  In your life.  Motivation.

When you are motivated, or more precisely, when you have a goal each day, waking up is the first step on your fabulous journey.  It can be a goal in your house like organizing that problem corner in the living room or cleaning the windows, but what worked best for me were creative goals.

After a week or so of sleeping late-ish (and when I had my small bout with the virus I did rest more), I started, wait for it... setting my alarm!  I made myself get up at least by 8 and more often 7:30 before the kids were up.  (Ok, granted, that is not super early by some people's standards!) 

At first it was out of necessity.  The intranet site for downloading homework for my daughter was saturated at other times of the day.  So I connected early and printed out her homework. But after that I kept the habit and used that time to do something I wanted to do or at least something creative.

I started making quizzes for my company's Facebook page to hopefully help attract customers in these slow times.  I wrote a blog post.  I edited a few videos on my iPhone for the library or friends.  I started my sillier than silly Glee parody videos.

And now I vary the activities.  Some days I water the plants before it gets too hot or I garden or weed in the front yard.  Or I watch one of my shows on Netflix that the kids don't like as much (Brooklyn 9-9) or that I shouldn't watch with them around (Outlander).

At other parts of the day we try to keep busy, too, while still allowing some chill time!  The kids and I planted climbing flower seeds and beans around our new bamboo tee-pee.  We planted seeds in toilet paper roll containers (Five Minute Crafts that Juliette watched!) to get them started before transplanting.  Juliette made a killer brownie recipe we had seen on TV.


Some days I may try a new recipe myself or make homemade hamburger buns for dinner.  I don't always do each of these things every day.  And if I get my little one to nap, I may nap too.  I help my big girl with her homework.  I try to read some myself when time allows.  But I certainly can't say I have been bored during lockdown and now post-lockdown.

I don't have time between household tasks, trying to do something creative, occasional recipes, gardening, constant toddler surveillance and de facto tutor to my middle schooler.  And honestly despite not being able to get out as much (especially during official lockdown), I have to say I have enjoyed this opportunity to explore hobbies I didn't have much time for before.  Most days I wake up pumped to get started on a new project or just get the house more liveable (endless, fruitless task, but I persist!).

Not every day is perfect and productive.  But I am happy to be drinking my first cup of café au lait and listen to the birds as I type on my computer this morning.  And that's a start!

Tell me what motivates you these days! What are the tasks you still don't want to do?!

3 comments:

Lindle said...

Since being retired from required work, I have had open days now for several years where I can do what I choose, though I don't choose the wisest things or most creative things as I had originally planned. "Safer at Home" restrictions here in Alabama curtail that ability to go just anywhere (though that has recently adjusted). Motivation can be a persistent problem for retired folks unless they have some structure and some friends and family to visit anyway, and the lockdown limited even that for some of us.
But it has forced me to consider more seriously how life is so short, and if there are creative things you always wanted to do, you have to seize the day! I journal more to capture what's happening, though I haven't finished my short stories. I bake more recipes and freeze half of the results. I am repurposing things around the house (a metal shelf makes a magnet board for Jane's wall) I am repainting the old kitchen table, and while I'm pressure washing the back sidewalk, I cut the machine off and listen to the songbirds on the hillside. I wrote a note to myself to look at every day that asks, "What will you do differently today? What will you do to make life better for someone else?"
But I have yet to clean out the nails & screws cabinet in the basement. That's a No-Go-Zone for now!

Jenenz said...

I have to say that there is so much to do these days (work, home, family, parents...), yet hard to get motivated. I'm still in the doing, getting the daily tasks done mode. I see the importance of making space to experience motivation. You have me thinking now....where does motivation fit in my life? Motivation leads to creativity? Can motivation make me happy?

I Say Oui said...

That's awesome that you've created this for yourself. And I do think that's an early time to wake up!
I do find that both routine and variety is helpful in keeping motivation. And I try to reword tasks as "I get to do x" instead of "I have to do x."

I got excited about the brownie recipe but quickly realized it uses grams, of course!