Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Only in America

Only in our grocery stores...

We are a bit food-obsessed in America.  We like our sweets but we are conscious of the bad fats and bad sweeteners (even though you will still find them in certain foods, especially sodas).  It always amuses me to come back and see these labels.  France is just now catching on to the trans fat thing but they don't seem to use much of the high fructose corn sweetener. 

Likin' the new slogan, too! But I still prefer Krispy Kreme.



In Spanish, too, thank you.


Only in Florida...
Where the Trump International Golf Course is next to the Palm Beach prison.




Where you can't buy happiness but you can live there.  And ironically this was a very modest neighborhood.



And the Publix grocery store on ritzy Palm Beach Island looks like this and has valet parking.


And the beach where the rich and famous play looks like this:



Only in Alabama (or the south)...
Can you find stuff like this in the grocery store...


I didn't even know what chitterlings were.  Apparently made of pigs' intestines.  I know I make fun of weird food in France, but we have our share of it, too.

Like pigs' feet.  Logical to get them in a value pack.



The Bubba burger is apparently good.



And a Sunday breakfast consists of ham (that's Juju's hand sneaking a bite), cheese grits (corn-based) and eggs.  Thanks, mom!



And you can find great old favorites like green tomatoes (for making fried green tomatoes) and okra (the world's slimiest vegetable but so good fried!).



And fruits that sound so gracious just by name and remind me of when I read To Kill a Mockingbird, that southern classic.  Can't say that I've even tasted scuppernongs.



Enjoying myself immensely here and hoping it doesn't go by too fast!

2 comments:

Jenenz said...

I agree with you, Krispy Kreme donuts are so delicious, especially hot off the conveyor belt, with the drizzling of glaze. My visit to Mobile AL supermarket, I was met by the jars of pigs feet.

I'm glad you're enjoying your visit home. So nice to get mom's/grandma's home cooking!

Lindle said...

Well, we did so much together, enjoying the Southern foods as much as possible---and the time still went by too fast.
Hope you have returned with good memories and maybe an extra pound or two.
Love you and miss you!